Antonina de Gerando, the Educator and her Girls’ School

Contributor

Antonina de Gerando descends on her father’s side from a French noble family, on her mother’s side from the famous Count Teleki family. In this second respect, she was the third educator following her grandmother’s sister (Teréz Brunswick) and her mother’s sister (Blanka Teleki). She studied in France and there she obtained her teacher’s degree. In 1873 she moved to Budapest, where she started to teach in private girls’ schools. In 1880 she was invited to head the newly opened Higher School for Girls from Cluj/Kolozsvár. She directed this school for 32 years. Originally the school was under the jurisdiction of the town council, being overtaken by the state in 1892. In 1900 it moved into the modern school building near the Central Park. All the daughters of the cultured Cluj/Kolozsvár families studied in this school. The beloved headmistress shared some particular ideas, like educating by love and not by using punishments. She got retired in 1912 and died in 1914.
This study presents de Gerando’s activity as a teacher, as the head of her school, her pedagogical ideas, as well the schoolbooks written by her (Mathematics, French, Latin, Music, Pedagogics, Housekeeping).
She also published many translations.

Content category